All aboard the safety innovation train! Teens in the Driver Seat and Union Pacific are looking for the most innovative idea to prevent pedestrian rail crossing incidents. The innovations could be communication campaigns, awareness activities, new technology, or infrastructure advancements. There are two winning groups, Junior High and High School. In each age group, the first place winners in each category will receive $500 for their school, 2nd place $250, and 3rd place $100.
Students must pitch their idea in one of the following formats:
- Video Submission
All submissions are due September 23, 2022, by 9 p.m. central/11 p.m. eastern and must answer four questions:
- What are the safety issues faced at rail grade crossings or train tracks?
- Why is rail grade crossing safety important to me or my community?
- Come up with a rail grade crossing safety innovation that could help drivers, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
- How is your innovation going to save lives?
Teens in the Driver Seat and Union Pacific rail safety experts will judge submissions on the following criteria:
- Originality (40%) – how innovative is your idea and how creative did you get with delivering your pitch through any of the format constraints
- Safety Message (40%) – you show a clear understanding of the problem and what needs to be resolved
- Professionalism (20%) – everything is well written or communicated, you give a very clear understanding to the judges by answering all three questions fully; you’ve also followed all submission and format guidelines.
When you are ready to submit your entry, go to the Entry Form>