Getting the Teens in the Driver Seat® program started at your high school is simple and we are here to help you every step of the way.
Step 1) Pick the team:
- Pick your Teens in the Driver Seat® team. They will be responsible for spreading the safety messages, coordinating and holding activities and participating in Teens in the Driver Seat® hosted events and activities. The team leaders can be an existing school group, such as Student Council, or form a new group. Anyone can be a part of Teens in the Driver Seat® and it’s a great community service project.
- Find a teacher and/or school leader who wants to sponsor the Teens in the Driver Seat® program. The sponsor serves as faculty support, collects and returns safe driving assessments, keeps us updated on what your team is doing, and will be our main point of contact. They can also help you get started.
- Contact Us when you have your team and sponsor and are ready to start the program. You’ll be placed in touch with your Regional Representative who will help guide you through the next steps.
Step 2) Order your start-up kit and find out what your friends know:
- Order your FREE educational items. See below for links. Items can be used to remind the students at your school about safe driving.
- You’ll also receive a handy calendar full of activity ideas, a how to get started guide, a USB drive with lots of resources, and an assessment with instructions.
- Ask your teacher/sponsor to administer the assessment (from the welcome folder) by following the instructions provided and return them to us. This qualifies you to become a TDS All-Star! Administer the assessment before you do any activities so we can get a good picture of what the students in your school know and their driving habits. We’ll keep a record of the assessments so we can evaluate the impact your team is making in your community and make the program better.
- Use the activity calendar (provided in the toolkit) and plan out activities for the entire year. You can also look at the online activity ideas and see what other schools are doing on our Facebook page.
- Make sure to let us know what you are doing by completing an activity form and posting on the TDS Facebook wall, Instagram (must tag @teensdriverseat), or Twitter (must tag @teensdriverseat).
- Make sure everyone at your school signs up for our weekly safety text messages. Text iDrive to 31996!
- TDS holds contests throughout the year and your school can win cash and prizes. Take a look at Events & Contests to learn more.
Step 4) Keep the program going:
- Plan activities for the entire school year.
- Hold regular meetings with your sponsor and team.
- Stay on the lookout for monthly newsletters that are full of activity ideas, resources and current contests. The email will go to your teacher/sponsor. If team members would also like to receive the newsletter, let your Regional Representative know.
- At the end of the school year, make sure to recruit new members to continue the Teens in the Driver Seat® program.
Once you’re ready to go, it’s time to order your educational toolkit! Below are the states we currently provide FREE resource kits to: