Getting the Teens in the Driver Seat® program started at your high school is simple and we are here to help you every step of the way.
Step 1) Pick the team:
- The TDS team will be responsible for spreading the safety messages, coordinating and holding activities, and participating in TDS-guided activities and events. The team leaders can be an existing school group, such as a SADD group, FCCLA team, Student Council, or form a new team. Anyone can be a part of TDS and it’s a great community service project.
- Find a teacher and/or school leader who wants to sponsor the TDS team. The sponsor serves as faculty support, collects and returns safe driving surveys, keeps us updated on what your team is doing, and will be our main point of contact.
- Have questions? Get in touch with your Regional Representative who will help guide you.
Step 2) Order your start-up kit and find out what your friends know:
- Order your FREE resource kit.
- You can sign up anytime during the school year. Replenish your kit and recommit to TDS each school year (pending grant funding in your area).
- The teacher/sponsor will administer the survey (from the welcome email/kit folder) by following the instructions provided and returning them to us. This qualifies you to become a TDS All-Star! Administer the survey before you do any activities so we can get a good picture of what the students in your school know and their driving habits. We’ll provide a report of your results and keep a record so we can evaluate the impact your team is making in your community and make the program better. Learn more about the survey>
- Watch for our emails and newsletter to give you news and inspiration for activities.
- Plan out activities for the entire year. You can look at the online activity ideas, events & contests, and see what other schools are doing on our Facebook and Instagram pages and we’ll send you ideas and how-to emails throughout the school year.
- Make sure to let us know what you are doing by completing an activity form and posting on the TDS Facebook wall, Instagram, or Twitter (must tag @teensdriverseat) to earn All-Star points and cash!
- Learn about our Safe Driving App and let students know they can use it to earn gift cards.
- TDS holds guided activities and events throughout the year and your school can earn cash and prizes. Take a look at Events & Contests to learn more.
Step 4) Keep the program going:
- Hold regular meetings with your sponsor and team to keep ideas and outreach going.
- Stay on the lookout for weekly emails and monthly newsletters that are full of activity ideas, resources, and current events. These will go to your teacher/sponsor.
- Want to be more involved? Check out our National Teen Advisory Board, where students drive the future of TDS.
- At the end of the school year, make sure to recruit new members to continue the TDS program.
Once you’re ready to go, it’s time to order your educational toolkit! Below are the states we currently provide FREE resource kits to: