Teens in the Driver Seat® is the nation’s first peer-to-peer safety program for young drivers, involving teenagers directly in developing and delivering driving safety messages. The goal of Teens in the Driver Seat is to raise awareness of the top driving dangers for teens and prevent crashes involving young drivers. The program empowers teens to spread the word among their peers about deadly driving risks and encourage them to make smart choices while behind the wheel and as passengers. Teens in the Driver Seat is committed to fighting the number-one killer of teenagers in America, but it can only succeed with the involvement and commitment of young people who are represented by the Teens in the Driver Seat Teen Advisory Board.
Do you want to be a leader in saving teen lives? Here’s your chance! Teens in the Driver Seat is looking for teens to be a part of the Teens in the Driver Seat Teen Advisory Board. The 2018-2019 TAB application opens on February 1, 2018 and closes March 9, 2018.
Here are the qualifications for the current TAB:
Teens who will be in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade in the 2018-2019 school year, are between the ages of 14 and 18, and are currently enrolled in school (public, private or home-school) are encouraged to apply for the Teens in the Driver Seat Teen Advisory Board. You must be willing to commit to quarterly meetings by conference call, web meeting or in person, as well as respond quickly to e-mail requests for feedback on different subjects. We will consider multiple applications from the same school. So make sure all interested students apply.
So how do you get involved? Review the qualifications and commitments listed below, then fill out the application with an uploaded current photo and return the 2 additional required forms.
The term of the 2018-2019 Teen Advisory Board will be from May 1, 2018 to April 30, 2019.
Why apply to the Teens in the Driver Seat Teen Advisory Board?
Former Teen Advisory Board members shared why they were glad to participate on this board:
- “I enjoy representing teens, providing insight and finding solutions and ideas for projects and certain issues.”
- “All of my expectations have been met. Sometimes by more than I expected.”
- “I loved my time on the board. I liked being able to provide input on my own.”
- “I have enjoyed working with staff members and meeting with new students towards the betterment of this program.”
- “I met great people who can help in the future, if needed.”
- “I liked the impact of the program and the passion behind it. I liked getting to know everyone.”
What will Teens in the Driver Seat Teen Advisory Board members do?
- Participate in quarterly meetings, as well as respond promptly to periodic e-mail requests for input and feedback
- Actively organize a Teens in the Driver Seat program at your local high school and at neighboring schools in your community
- Assist in organizing program-oriented events and activities in your local community
- Actively visit the Teens in the Driver Seat website: http://www.t-driver.com
- Promote Teens in the Driver Seat contests and special events
- Provide feedback, ideas and opinions on new program materials, safety messages, educational items and related elements
- Provide ideas and insights on how to continue to successfully engage teens and sustain their interest in the Teens in the Driver Seat program
- Serve as an ambassador/leader for Teens in the Driver Seat, leading by example
- Entering 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade in the 2018-2019 school year
- Between the ages of 14 and 18 by September 1, 2018
- Currently enrolled in school (public, private or home-school)
- Willing to commit to quarterly meetings via conference call, web meeting or in-person, as well as respond promptly to periodic e-mail requests for feedback on Teens in the Driver Seat-related material or ideas.
- Begins May 1, 2018 and ends April 30, 2019
- Teen Advisory Board members may serve more than one term, so long as they re-apply and meet qualifications each year
Member Meeting Requirements:
- Meet quarterly on Saturdays (estimated meeting time of 2-4 hours per meeting)
- The first meeting of the new board will be May 19, 2018 at the TDS Summit
- The schedule for the remaining meetings will be determined at the May 2018 meeting, based on member availability. An estimated schedule for the remaining meetings is September or October 2018, November or December 2018, February or March 2019 and May 2019.
- TAB members will have the option to participate in all meetings through a toll-free conference call. They may also be able to participate through the web, in-person, or by meeting at the Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) regional offices. At the TTI offices members can participate through video conferencing. TTI offices are located in Texas in the following cities: Austin, College Station, Dallas, El Paso, Houston and San Antonio.
Required Forms (these may be uploaded in application):
Teens in the Driver Seat Advisory Board Application is now closed.