Texas Junior High Program
Learn to Survive Before You Can Drive
Teens in the Driver Seat® – Jr. High is a program to help you be a safer car passenger and teach you what you need to know to be a safer driver – way before you start to drive. If you know more about the dangers that cause teenage drivers to crash, you can help prevent those crashes just by doing what’s safe and smart. And if you learn about what’s safe and smart now, you will already have good habits when you start to drive.
Why is this so important?
It’s important because more kids die every year in car crashes than from any other cause. Find out more about this deadly problem.
How much do you know?
Learn more about the 5 dangers!
Step 1) Pick the team:
- Pick your Teens in the Driver Seat® team. There should be 10 to 12 leaders, which will be your Teens in the Driver Seat® team. They will be responsible for spreading the safety messages and coordinating and holding activities. The team leaders can be an existing school group, such as Student Council, or form a new group. Anyone can be a part of Teens in the Driver Seat® and it’s a great community service project.
- Find a teacher and/or school leader who wants to sponsor the Teens in the Driver Seat® program. The sponsor serves as faculty support, keeps in contact with us, collects and returns safe driving questionnaires once a year, and will be our main contact. They can also help you get started.
- Contact Us when you have your team and sponsor and are ready to start your program. You’ll be placed in touch with your Regional Representative who will help guide you through the next steps.
- Order your free educational items. They can be used to remind the students at your school about safe driving. Educational items and resource materials may be reordered each school year!
- You’ll also receive a handy calendar full of activity ideas, a how to get started guide, a DVD with lots of resources and a survey with instructions.
- Ask your teacher/sponsor to administer the survey (from welcome folder) by following the instructions provided and return them to us.
- We’ll keep a record of the surveys so we can evaluate the impact your team is making in your community and make the program better.
- Use the activity calendar (provided in the welcome folder) and plan out activities for the entire year. You can also look at the online activity ideas and see what other schools are doing on our Facebook page.
- Make sure to let us know what you are doing by completing an activity form and posting all your pics on our Facebook page or tagging us on Instagram with @teensinthedriverseat or Twitter with @TeensDriverSeat.
- TDS holds contests throughout the year and your school can win cash and prizes. Take a look at Events & Contests to learn more.
- Plan activities for the entire school year.
- Hold regular meetings with your sponsor and team.
- Stay on the lookout for monthly newsletters that is full of activity ideas, resources and current contests. The email will go to your teacher/sponsor. If team members would also like to receive the newsletter, let your Regional Representative know.
- At the end of the school year, recruit new team leaders and plan for the next year.