Getting Started in Texas
Are you an organization that works with teens? Great! You may also start the program within your organization. Just complete the steps below and we will contact you to get the details.
Step 1) Pick the team:
- Pick your Teens in the Driver Seat® team. There should be 10 to 12 leaders, which will be your Teens in the Driver Seat® team. They will be responsible for spreading the driving safety messages, coordinating and holding activities and participating in Teens in the Driver Seat® hosted events and activities. The team leaders can be an existing school group, such as Student Council, or form a new group. Anyone can be a part of Teens in the Driver Seat® and it’s a great community service project.
- Find a teacher and/or school leader who wants to sponsor the Teens in the Driver Seat® program. The sponsor serves as faculty support, collects and returns safe driving surveys, keeps us updated on what your team is doing, and will be our main contact. They can also help you get started.
- Contact Us when you have your team and sponsor and are ready to start your program. You’ll be placed in touch with your Regional Representative who will help guide you through the next steps.
- Order your free educational items. They can be used to remind the students at your school about safe driving. Educational items and resource materials may be reordered each school year!
- You’ll also receive a handy calendar full of activity ideas, a how to get started guide, a DVD with lots of resources and a survey with instructions.
- Ask your teacher/sponsor to administer the survey (from welcome folder) by following the instructions provided and return them to us.
- We’ll keep a record of the surveys so we can evaluate the impact your team is making in your community and make the program better.
- Use the activity calendar (provided in the welcome folder) and plan out activities for the entire year. You can also look at the online activity ideas and see what other schools are doing on our social media pages.
- Make sure to let us know what you are doing by completing an activity form and posting on the TDS Facebook wall, Instagram (must tag @teensdriverseat), Twitter (must tag @teensdriverseat), or Pinterest (must tag @teensdriverseat).
- TDS holds contests throughout the year and your school can win cash and prizes. Take a look at Events & Contests to learn more.
- Plan activities for the entire school year.
- Hold regular meetings with your sponsor and team.
- Stay on the lookout for monthly newsletters that is full of activity ideas, resources and current contests. The email will go to your teacher/sponsor. If team members would also like to receive the newsletter, let your Regional Representative know.
- At the end of the school year, recruit new team leaders and plan for the next year.